Sunday, April 12, 2009

How do I.......?

How do I go about becoming a florist? My mother in law and I want to start a florist in our current office, we also build and sell houses along with our husbands, and I need to know if you have to have a license, or anything like that. We are really good at creating floral arrangements and things like that, and we thought it%26#039;d be a good side job to get into. Any info on this subject?

How do I.......?
Well.... First I%26#039;d find a florist with whom you would not be in competition and invite them out for coffee. It would be better if it were a referral. Then you could introduce yourself by saying that so and so gave me you name and said you were a really nice guy who might be willing to help me.... I%26#039;m thinking about opening up a shop in (the next town over)... bla bla bla.


Take them out for coffee or a glass of wine and pick their brain. What do you like about owning your own business? What are the challenges you face? How do you overcome them? What%26#039;s your typical day like? That sort of thing.





Ask if you can hang out and help out at the shop for a few days. Really see what%26#039;s involved. Owning your own business without additional employees is no bed of roses (no pun intended), It%26#039;s a 60 or 70 hour a week job. But all that being said, if it%26#039;s your passion with a capital P, then work feels like play.





Then decide if you have the money to open - and a cushion to live on while you build your business and start making a profit.





If you go ahead with it, I recommend you find yourself a networking group and join it. That%26#039;s where a number of business owners meet once a week and feed each other leads. If there isn%26#039;t one where you are, then start one. It%26#039;s a great way to get referrals.





I own a non-traditional business and work with a number of business owners that don%26#039;t WANT to own a traditional business any more, and help them develop addtional streams of income so they can give up what they do and get their lives back. So I%26#039;m very familar with the pitfalls of a brick and mortar business. They can%26#039;t wait to rid headaches involved with it.





And... I wish you all the luck in the world!! Do let me know how you make out. And if you ever want to give up the 9am to 9pm gig, drop me a line.



at home skin care

No comments:

Post a Comment